The Narwhal Data Saver Appliance for Starlink and VSAT helps manage your data consumption and bandwidth to drastically improve the usability of slow connections (such as VSAT) and/or reduce overall data usage for limited or metered data plans (such as Starlink Mobile Priority). The Data Saver adds the following extremely powerful features to the Narwhal package:
- If you have a Narwhal System onboard, order the Data Saver for Narwhal Package
- This package includes the appliance, software, preconfiguration of the appliance, and connection cable.
- Remote management is a feature already available in Narwhal Systems and extends to the Data Saver
- Supports bandwidth and usage controls for two Satellite systems: ie: VSAT+Starlink, 2 x VSAT, 2 x Starlink.
Features of Data Saver:
- Ability to block categories of web content such as malicious and illegal, adult oriented, and more
- Ability to throttle or block software updates such as Apple, Microsoft, and App Store updates that can consume lots of data in the background
- A single iphone update can consume 1-2GB of data and an automatic phone backup during the night can use many GBs of data.
- Ability to throttle or block video streaming content such as Netflix and Prime. Throttling the video streams will force the video content to reduce quality and use less data, which can make it more usable on slower networks and reduce cost.
- For Example: Netflix 4K video consumes ~7GB per hour. But Netflix SD video consumes less than 1GB per hour. On the 50GB Starlink Mobile Priority plan, without any filtering features, a single Netflix user can consume the entire plan data allotment in 7-10 hours.
- Our Narwhal + Data Saver integration also allows us to apply different rules to different users when needed, such as giving open access to a business or captains computer and applying restrictions to the crew or kids network
- Operates on 12VDC or 110/220VAC
Narwhal Data Saver appliance comes pre-configured and we offer remote management and support of the entire Narwhal system including the Data Saver under an optional support contract which includes making changes to the configuration at any time to meet onboard needs, changes to internet sources, changes to crew/family requirements, and more. We can remotely monitor and manage the system as long as a VSAT, Starlink, 4G, 5G, Wi-Fi, or other standard Internet connection is available to the system.